Wednesday, December 30, 2015

One Way to Color Scheme

I wanted to show a real life example of how I use Design Seeds when planning out a quilt.  I wanted to make a half-square triangle quilt similar to this one from Debbie of A Quilter's Table.

To pick a color scheme, I searched design seeds until I found a color scheme that I fell in love with:


I couldn't find the direct link to this one on their website, so I took a screen shot from my Pinterest board!

I sat down at my computer and obsessed over figured out which solid fabrics looked closest to the image above.  I ordered the fabric online, and they all turned out pretty close.   In hindsight, that was pretty risky.  Fabrics can look very different in person from their colors on a computer screen.  In the future, I would go into a quilt shop and try to match colors.  Also, many fabric manufacturers sell a color card that has a small swatch of all their solid fabrics.  I purchased one from an instagram destash that is so very handy to have!

This is how the quilt turned out:




 I pieced the back using one leftover block and fabric from my stash.  I made a quilt sleeve using these instructions so I could hang it up on a wall.



I quilted it with a walking foot with two straight lines on either side of the straight seams.


Here is is hanging up on the wall in a hallway of my house:


Oh yes, my house has lots of wood paneling :)  Doesn't the quilt brighten up the hallway?  And doesn't the color scheme of the quilt reflect the bright and colorful inspiration image?  I used solid fabrics, but this would also work with prints.  I'll demonstrate that in a future post.

Happy sewing!

PS: The quilt was pieced by me and my friends in the South Florida Mod quilting bee! I miss you ladies!

No comments:

Post a Comment