Friday, January 8, 2016

Simple Patchwork

My beginner quilting class that starts up in February will be making a simple patchwork quilt.  We will cut 5" squares and sew them together.  At first I resisted teaching such a simple pattern, but then I realized how many different ways there are to do simple patchwork! I have made three of these quilts myself, two in the last year.  

First is a baby quilt I made for some friends who were expecting.  Of course, I dilly-dallied at getting the quilt started and needed something fast.  


Of course, it ended up being a bit smaller than I would have liked (24" by 36").  But I'll save the topic of "how big should a baby quilt be?" for another post!  In my haste, I forgot to take a picture of the finished quilt.  Please, people, always take pictures of your quilts before you gift them!  It's just nice to capture a permanent memory of your hard work before you give it away.

I also made a quilt for my youngest daughter in a simple patchwork squares pattern.  


My mother bought me a custom fat quarter bundle of mainly Bonnie & Camille "Ruby" fabric from fabricworm years ago.  (That fabric line is actually being reprinted!) I added a bunch of other prints and solids from my stash.


This one finished at about 42" by 52".  Like in the other quilt, I laid out the squares randomly.


I have one last quilt that uses a simple patchwork grid, but with a different arrangement.

                  

This was a quilt I made for my first baby, before I knew what I was having.  It's just squares (lots and lots of them!) but sewn using a shortcut method.  The pattern is from Elizabeth Hartman's first book, "The Practical Guide to Patchwork".  This one uses colorful squares alternating with plain white squares for a checkerboard look.  This is another way to spice up a simple patchwork quilt!

I hope I demonstrated how versatile simple patchwork squares can be! If you want to learn how to make a simple patchwork quilt from start to finish, please contact me.  Classes are starting up in February.  I hope to see you there :)



No comments:

Post a Comment